|Planting and Care Instructions for your new plant Planting from containers
- Dig your hole a little wider than but only as deep as the container.
- Remove plant from container.
- Set root ball into the hole so that it sits 20% higher than the total root ball, usually 1‘to 3” above soil surface.
- Backfill with equal parts of existing soil, and Bumper Crop or LeafGro and pack gently no soil on top of root ball ONLY mulch or gravel.
- Please see the further care instructions for watering, fertilizing, and mulching guidelines.
Planting Balled & Burlapped Trees
- Dig a hole at little as wider than but only as deep as the root ball.
- Remove any ties or straps that bind the burlap. If there is a wire basket leave it in place. Roll back, but do not remove, burlap from root ball so it will be below the soil surface.
- Set root ball into the hole so that it sits 20” higher than the surrounding soil. Usually 1-3”
- Backfill with equal parts existing soil, Bumper Crop, or LeafGro and pack gently. No soil on top of root ball ONLY mulch or gravel.
- Please see the further care instructions for watering guidelines.
Further care instructions
Watering Guidelines – there are no set schedules for watering just some well-established practices and guidelines to assist you
- Plants cannot be over-watered in the short-run meaning a deep soak cannot be too much
- Water 3 times per week for first three weeks, having a period of drying out between watering
- 1 or 2 per week depending on weather conditions for remainder of first growing season
- Always water at base of plant, never on foliage
- There MUST be a period of drying out between watering
- Deep soaking less often is more effective than small amounts more often
- AM watering is ideal but following the above guideline is more important if time is a factor
- 1” of water a week on established plants is a good guideline for remainder of life.
- Do not fertilize first year.( WE fertilize all of our trees and shrubs). Next spring use a slow release (Osmocote) fertilizer as directed. Do not use water soluble kind.
- 2-3” of mulch at drip line.
- 1” for perennials, flowers